I'd love your help to reach best-seller status!
Mark your calendar for December 8 and visit www.BeeBADASSandBrilliant.com
to purchase the kindle version for only $1.99 just in time for the holidays!
What's this blog series all about? Let me satiate your curiosity :) I decided as part of my book launch campaign to feature 28 holistic souls - 1 every day leading up to my 28th birthday on December 8th, which is also the official Amazon.com launch date.
People often ask me, "Nicole, you're so connected, how do you meet so many people?" My response: "The internet is my best friend." Case in point, this featured post. I pay attention to what's happening, who follows me, mutual connections, shared interests and build connections around the data and information that comes through my online social profiles. A few weeks ago, I was hit with a sponsored Facebook post for a motivational presentation for Millennials taking place a the USS Silversides Museum in Muskegon, Michigan. At first glance, thought "that sounds interesting." After it resurfaced 2 more times in a period of 48 hours, I took it as a sign to attend.
Prior to going, I did my research on who this Wes guy was that would be speaking. Found out pretty quickly and struck up a conversation. Most of my relationships are built that way, it's awesome! The ability to link up with new opportunities and connections at the click of a mouse. I am so glad I followed my gut instinct and attended the incredibly inspirational and motivational presentation Wes delivered that evening. I found myself nodding in agreement in the "call" he put out to our generation and those in the Veteran community to stand out and step in to the life we were born to lead. Sharing very similar outlooks on creating success and what it takes to live a BADASS and Brilliant life, please be sure to connect with him at: www.WesOdonnell.com and his incredible community for those involved in all branches of the military: www.WarriorLodge.com
1. Nicole's definition of BADASS and Brilliant encompass: passion and thinking for yourself. First, what is your passion? Second, can you share one example of how your passion has guided you to think for yourself?
1) My definition of passion is finding that thing that you LOVE to do, for a living. Sure, we all have hobbies, but what if you could get paid to live your passion? This should be the goal of everyone that currently goes to work on Monday and only looks forward to Friday! What is it that you could love doing for 7 days a week, that would bring a smile to your face? What does a full, rich life mean to you? Time to look yourself in the mirror and make a declaration: I’m standing up for my dreams starting NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Stop waiting for the conditions to be perfect; the conditions will never be perfect. Live your life with passion now.
2) I realized long ago that I wanted to make movies and speak about issues that were important to me. Then reality set in: With a family to support, it seemed impossible to follow my passion. Film school is expensive and time consuming. Then it hit me that I’m living by someone else’s rules. Graduate high school, go to college, get a job, retire and die. It seemed so bleak. Why not rewrite the rules to suit me? This is the core of thinking for yourself: Always be skeptical and always ask why something is the way that it is. You will be amazed how many doors start opening and opportunities start appearing.
2. Nicole choose to highlight the dwindling honeybee population and its affects on the aspect of global agriculture and human existence. No bees, no food. No food, well? You get the picture. What's one holistic cause you would like to bring more awareness to?
I’m super passionate about Unity with a capital U. The divisiveness of humanity, and more recently of Americans has dismayed me and depressed me. Where is this utopia of equality that America’s founders promised? Why are women still paid much less than men for doing the same job? As a white child, I spent 5 years living in an all-black community in Dallas, Texas. I was the only white person at my school and in my neighborhood. Valuable lessons were learned and I feel that I understand, better than some of my ethnicity, many of the challenges facing the black community. My biggest fear is that I still don’t know the way forward. An intent that was supposed to unite humanity, has only driven us further apart as we erect walls and echo chambers; digital prisons of our own design.
3. Nicole suggests in order to create success on your terms, one must develop two fundamental skill-sets: inner peace and confidence. What technique or practice do you recommend to develop inner peace? Lastly, what's your definition of confidence?
1) My practice for inner-peace is simple: meditation, prayer, breathing and deep thought and sometimes the absence of deep thought… trying really hard to think about nothing. I used to have anxiety about my health, about money, et cetera. The only fool-proof way to get rid of ALL of the anxiety was to let go. Understand that sometimes you have little or no control and that’s okay. Why is that okay? Because something bigger than us has control.
2) Confidence is slightly harder to attain. My confidence was forged on the anvil of the U.S. military but for many people it is a real challenge. My confidence in business came through failure. Every time you fail at something, you’re smarter than you were before. You feel less anxiety about doing that thing in the future because you know what to expect. All roads to success, you must go through failure to get there. Nobody ever tells you this, but you’re supposed to fail. It’s part of the journey of confidence and self-discovery.
So grateful to feature 28 other BADASS and Brilliant souls!
If you'd like to read more inspiring stories, visit: www.BeeBADASSAndBrilliant.com Bee the first 100 to pre-order my new book between November 11 to December 7 and receive an autographed bookmark along with your copy! Pre-order shipping will take place on the official Amazon.com launch date, December 8. Local book signings, radio and podcast interview schedule can be found at the website link above.